"Electra"

"Electra"
Photo: Natasha Remoundou

Sunday 9 February 2014

From the Stage Manager's Notebook: Reflections on Week One of Rehearsal


Electra’s rehearsals began on 28 January in the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance’s temporary home in Woodquay.  It was an unusual first week of rehearsals for me as stage manager.  This was due to two factors, 1) this was my first English language production working as a stage manager as I have always worked in English language theatre and 2) emphasis was put on understanding the historical context of Greek theatre and, in particular, Electra.  My previous experience of a production’s first week of rehearsals consisted of the initial read-through immediately followed by blocking of scenes.

I must admit I was a bit apprehensive of this new approach as I was conscious of how limited our rehearsal schedule is.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the success of this approach – it gave the cast and crew an opportunity to view Mycenae in three dimensions prior to blocking.  It also highlighted the complexity of Electra’s character – my early perception of her was of a person who was constantly whining.  Physical theatre workshops were also introduced in this first week and this also aided the cast and crew in discovering aspects of the characters that are visible in the text.

As we move on, I’m intrigued how our production will depict Electra waiting for her glory till stone turns to water.


Mairead Ni Chualain
From left: Assistant Director Aoife Noone, Director Charlotte McIvor, Stage Manager Mairead Ni Chualain, and Assistant Stage Manager Siobhra Ni Chianain



No comments:

Post a Comment