"Electra"

"Electra"
Photo: Natasha Remoundou

Friday 14 February 2014

Everyone knows the chorus of songs, the Greek Chorus? I’m not so sure!


If I’m being perfectly honest, initially finding out I was cast as part of the Chorus in our wonderful play Electra was both exciting and daunting. The prospect was exciting as so often when I think of Greek Tragedy’s I instantly picture the groupings of many people on stage in floor-length robes (either white or black in colour) wearing those iconic Greek masks that we all know so well. And for me, that iconic yet stylised version of a Chorus is both beautiful and haunting and so based on aesthetics alone, my interest was piqued instantly to know how our own Chorus would be developed and demonstrated through costume, hair and make-up for our production.

What I found daunting about the role of the Chorus was the aspect of being on stage at all times, how the ensemble making up the Chorus would have the task of tuning into one another as I imagined us to constantly be embodying one singular moving organism (despite the fact there was seven of us) and the fact that this was my first role in a play where I had no ‘character’ as per say to embody, I felt quite nervous about beginning the rehearsal process!
           
On hearing the costume team’s presentation I can gladly say my expectations were not disappointed. I am so looking forward to the journey the costume team will take in deciding how best to make our costumes. The earthy browns as a base mingled with the ideas of seaweed to embody the sea alongside our hair being plaited across our faces will create a naturalistic sub-plot to our characters by incorporating the overall themes of the play while still remaining wholly unrecognisable and abstract in relation to conventional Greek staging’s.

As for the nerves prior to the rehearsals starting, I can also now safely say that my worries have been quashed! I feel I will always go into those initial rehearsals anxious, but once you tread the boards (or carpet in our case) I instantly remember why I love being involved in theatre. Almost immediately I discovered how necessary it would be to allow sameness yet difference contrast and coincide together for the role of the Chorus to work.  So instead of my imagined Chorus – where we would all have to constantly move as one, our process so far has been easier (but by no means easy) than expected. Being on stage at all times is still something I think we won’t really get used to until we start running the play fully, but for now knowing sections incur changes helps the stamina when sitting or standing for long periods of time. And lastly as for the lack of ‘character’ I think I was quite ignorant to the fact of their complexity as I initially thought that being a Chorus member entailed playing no detail of personality traits. Of course they do! Just as any character does the Chorus but must be explored and determined by the actor taking on the part in question. With help from our fantastic director even simple tasks such as naming our unnamed characters really helped me grasp a better concept for the person as well as age and attitudes.




The process of bringing the Chorus to life

I am thoroughly enjoying the process so far and am encouraged every time we rehearse by the cast, directors and production team because of their willingness to commit to this production with enthusiasm and passion. I think our determination so far to make this version of Electra as good as it can be is helpful when trying to imagine the finished project. With motivation from our favourite song (Pharrell's ‘Happy’) I look forwards in the hopes that the rest of this journey will be as full of laughs and fun as it has already and above all else will entail an end result which we will all be proud of. 

Georgina Ganly

No comments:

Post a Comment